Thursday, November 8, 2012

Slow Cooker Taco Soup

This recipe comes from Allrecipes.com.  They suggest serving it with totilla chips and a dollop of sour cream.  I served mine with corn chips, sour cream, and some grated marble cheese.

This soup got a big thumbs up from my six-year-old daughter minus the corn chips which is fine since you only add a few on top of the serving.

1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
1 (4 oz) can diced green chile peppers
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix

Directions:
In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned over medium heat.  Drain, and set aside.

Place the ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chili peppers and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker.  Mix to blend, and cook on low setting for 8 hours.

My cheat in this one was to cut the onion the night before and have it ready in the fridge.  All I had to do in the morning was brown the beef and open all the cans to toss ingredients in the cooker.  Probably less than 15 minutes time.

Also, my daughter does not love kidney beans so I used two cans of BBQ style beans I had in my pantry.  they are a mix of brown beans and kidney beans so not too many of either!!

This is a picture of what it looks like in the slow cooker when I was ready to turn it on!

 

 
 
This next picture is my serving!!


And finally.....the leftovers for the freezer.  I took this one to give an idea of how much this makes.  The recipe says it serves 8 but it is very filling with the gound beef and all the beans.  My daughter and I each had a bowl and this is what was left!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment